Friday, May 15, 2015

Vernon Bike Camp 2015

 My coach, Jack VanDyk, hosts an annual road bike camp out of his hometown of Vernon, BC, every spring. This is the camp's 6th year, and it runs like clockwork! I've attended other triathlon camps based out of Penticton, and this one is, hands-down, miles ahead in terms of dedicated focus, variety of riding terrain, organization, and cameraderie among participants.

I'll admit to being nervous about riding with a group of dedicated roadies for 6 consecutive days. I worried about keeping pace, technique, food and nutrition, heat and more. To combat these negative thoughts, as the week drew closer, I set some goals that aligned with my season: endurance and power. In order to be successful at BCBike Race, I will need endurance each day (estimate 4 hours or more of riding every day), endurance for the week (race for 7 days in a row), mental fortitude to get organized each evening for the next day of riding and to get through 7 consecutive days, and improve power on hill climbing for the mountain bike riding ahead of me.

A few people have commented on my "lack" of mtb riding so far this season, that I have been on the road bike more than they would have anticipated. I have full faith and trust in my coach: I try to perform 90-100% of his prescribed workouts, and if he puts me on the road bike, I ride the road bike. I also have anecdotal comments from past participants that BCBike Race demands the long days of riding - I have enough technical skills to ride the course, so, those same people say, focusing on the time in the road saddle and growing power makes sense. Besides, I still have 5 more weeks of hard training to get in the mtb riding that I will need.

Here's how it all worked out:

Day One: shake-down ride and Predator Ridge hill climb
A fun, fast, and flowing ride from Vernon to Ellison Provincial Park, then a big push up to Predator Ridge golf course gates. Not a steep hill, just a long hill. Quick lunch, then up to do hill repeats on the road to Silver Star. The switchbacks on the old road were steep, this was a tough climb. I suffered through 3 repeats. The ride home along swooping back roads was phenomenal.
Total ride time: 4.5hrs
Total distance: 87km

Day Two: Aerobic Time Trial practice to Mabel Lake via Enderby
I rode with a group of girls whose season goal is Ironman Whistler. Their experience with paceline was limited, so Coach Paul (one of three coaches for the week) encouraged us to work together to pull along some rolling hills to conserve energy, increase speed, and have fun along the ride. Amazing roads, lots of fun - until the dog ran after us. As we passed by a rural farm, a farm dog raced out at us, barking and chasing. I feel fortunate to have been on the front of the paceline - and to have had prior experience with the dog/bike situation.

Tip: when a dog runs at your bike, keep riding, do NOT brake. Paul confirmed this strategy, as dogs will run along side you but will not hurl themselves at your bike. He also recommended pulling out your water bottle for squirting the dog, dogs don't like that.

Unfortunately, the balance of my group didn't fare as well as I did - one of them braked, the others dominoed into a crash that resulted in road rash and sore knees (but no broken bikes). The dog stood there and barked, the owner was mortified - and a nurse with excellent bandages. We patched up as best as possible and headed to Mabel Lake to join the other groups for lunch.

Lunch at Mabel Lake
Total ride time: 6.5hrs
Total distance: 150km

Day Three: Predator Ridge, Wood Lake, Winfield
I'll admit, by Day 3 I was feeling a bit battered. My left shoulder was aching and throughout Day 3 it would turn into a hot poker that would put me in the team car on the ride home. And my "undercarriage" was sore from time in the saddle. Thank goodness for Petal Power - very soothing on sore parts. The team car was driven by Kelly, aka the Camp's RMT. He worked wonders on my shoulder to put me back on the road for the rest of the week.
Day 3 was a long ride: lots of hills, one of them very steep. We rode Predator Ridge in both directions, meandered through the valley almost to Kelowna, and enjoyed gorgeous views of Lake Country near Vernon.
Despite all my aches and pains, I could feel strength building. Some of it was mental strength, an ability to persevere, but also leg strength. I was holding my intensity factor each day at over 85% - and while it was tough, I wasn't struggling. Keep building.
Total ride time: 3hrs
Total distance: 60km

Lunch at top of Winfield climb.
Note the Muddbunny in the foreground, odd to see her attached to a road bike


Day Four: Armstrong to Salmon Arm "Wall"
I woke up today motivated to ride long and hard. Jack had been talking about this "wall" since before camp started, I was curious to know how I would measure. It's a popular Strava segment, many camp participants were smack-talking about KOM/QOM status.
We rode the paceline out to Armstrong along roads lined with large canopies, spring leaves, smooth pavement. Amazing feeling to ride in this area. We regrouped at the bottom of the Salmon Arm Wall and amped up on adrenalin. O.M.G. This sucker is a killer! Having ridden "the wall" out of OK Falls, I can say that this one is tougher, steeper and more rewarding. I had to put my foot down once or twice, and in order to get started I had to angle my bike perpendicular to the road! There is a junction halfway up the hill, with three choices of route: naturally, I took the wrong one so rode a few 100 extra meters of uphill, but then got back on track.  It was tough, fun, and, again, I can feel myself growing power and mental strength. Wicked day to ride, loved every minute of it.

Beautiful Salmon Arm - view after half of the noxious hill climb
Hill climbing, my favourite
Total ride time: 6hrs
Total distance: 140km

Day Five: Aerobic ride to Mabel Lake via Lumby
Personal events required me to start the day in the team car - but trust me, I was anxious to get out on the road to keep riding! It cut my morning ride short and impacted the balance of my day, I was mentally anxious about ride time and mileage. More to follow.
There was also a long (3.8km) stretch of gravel road. On a road bike. Yes, it was a hill. This was the starting point for my ride today - down the gravel road. I stayed upright, only one moment of panic on the soft shoulder. It made the balance of the ride into Lumby sw-eet. Pushing further out to Mabel Lake was super too - lots of great pavement, and the tailwind was a bonus.
After a picturesque lunch at Mabel Lake, we had two options: ride the balance of the road for an added 40km of riding before heading back to Vernon, or turn around to Vernon from here (another 65km home). I was anxious to get in more ride time - so chased after Group One speedsters to the out-and-back for the added kms. Unfortunately, it meant that I was in no-man's land and it was difficult for the support vehicle to keep all three groups under support. So when I reached the lunch site (after another incident with a very large dog - the advice rings true, keep riding and use your water bottle!), I was required to jump into the team car for a leap-frog ride ahead of Group One to Lumby. Kelly set me free on the road into the head wind, with the anticipation of reaching the gravel uphill before Group One caught me.
I was mentally pissed off at myself for not riding the kilometres today. It was under my skin, I was seething. I decided to transfer that energy into a strong ride home (whatever was left of it). I rode steady, strong, determined into the wind and surpassed distance expectations by riding more than 3/4's of the rough hill. My watts and effort over this section of road were consistent and strong, and my attitude climbing that rough road was positive. It was a big reward on a day that hadn't gone as well logistically as I wanted it to be.
Due to group timing, Kelly caught me on the gravel road and I needed to be shuttled home in order to keep the groups aligned and support available to the masses. Disappointing, but I understand the requirement. Besides, it was my decision and personal requirement at the start of the day that put me behind on mileage, and my poor decision to try to ride the out-and-back (in retrospect I should have put in the extra kms with the slower group all the way home to Vernon). Whatever - lessons learned, and as Taylor Swift would say, "shake it off."
Total ride time: 2.5hrs (not nearly long enough)
Total distance: 68km (admirable given the ride time)

Day Six: Penticton Ride
I was looking forward to reliving some good memories on this ride! Ironman Canada was a lifelong highlight, and I love riding the terrain in this region. We had a beautiful day to ride - warm sun, good company.

Paceline along Skaha Lake - that's me, in 8th place (The Husband is in front of me!)
We started with a quick paceline along Skaha Lake, up MacLean Creek Road and a fun downhill to OKFalls. That's when the fun started! We rode the flowing, rolling backroads past Oliver, almost to Osooyos, past wineries and orchards. On the return trip, we veered off the main highway at Road No. 5 for some HOT uphill climbing up to White Lake Road, enjoyed some high desert riding, and a breath-taking descent down the OK Falls Wall.
I was a bit sun-exposed, so took advantage of the shower facilities at the rec centre in Penticton ($3.25 entry to the shower! only $6 for a towel!), and cooled off in the shade.
Total ride time: 4.5hrs
Total distance: 115km

The group relaxed and relived a week of riding with some awesome pizza at Bad Tattoo Brewing in Penticton - the perfect finish to a great week!

Celebration dinner at Bad Tattoo, Penticton BC

What's next? No rest for the wicked, I'm back on the bike in the Rockies, gearing up for BCBike Race. Spot the Muddbunny!

Back on the trails in West Bragg Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment