Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Motivation 2.0

The new year is always a time to reflect on goals and set resolutions; I've already done the goal setting, now I need to dig deep and find the motivation to stay on-track so that I do more than just finish a race, because I already know that I'm a "finisher." 

Yes, post-Ironman I managed to gain a few pounds.  Is that enough motivation?  Not really, but it's a good start.

I'm not especially pleased with my pace while running; running has always been my mental block, but with good reason, as I'm not usually in the top half of the pack.  Is that enough motivation? Maybe it will become part of the raison d'etre.

My climbing ability (both running and cycling) could use some improvement - I do very well on the descents and flats but climbing feels like there is an anchor attached to the back of my bike.  Is this enough motivation?  I suppose, but I've already addressed this issue on the bike by engaging a coach who focuses on cycling power and am using my Cinqo Quark to build power.

So what's it gonna take???

You've got to want it, you've got to want...

... that feeling of pushing through a tough workout.
... that feeling of pushing through the proverbial ceiling or the plateau to attain a blissful state of "aaaaahhhhhhhhhh."
... to wake up at 5:30am to swim so-that-you-can-rush-home-to-get-the-kids-ready-for school-and-then-start-your-day.
... the physical ability to move your body - whatever the pace - so that you remain healthy and strong.
... to setting a healthy example for your kids.
... the pain of exhertion so that you can find the mental focus to relish it - or find ways to distract yourself from it!

I understand and accept that I am a little bit crazy for wanting to do these things.  I know that this year, when I cross the line, my effort has been sincere and I will be satisfied. 


No comments:

Post a Comment